Certified Vegan Application
Office address for applications:
3218 Douglasdale Road Richmond, VA 23221
Download: Vegan Certification Application 2017
Protocol for Certifying Products as Vegan
1. Vegan Action will review application to be sure that all information is filled out and signed.
2. Vegan Action will make sure all accompanying paperwork is included:
a. List of each product and ingredients
b. Spec sheets or MSDS sheets from manufacturer for any ingredients that may be plant or animal derived (ex. Sterol lactolate, glycerin, lecithin, xanthum gum, or a product cultured in a medium)
c. Statement whether shared machinery is used. If so, a statement of cleaning procedures must be provided to show prevention of cross-contamination of non-vegan ingredients (often called a Standards of Operating Procedures or Quality Control Procedures)
d. Signed letter that the company applying does not conduct animal testing nor do they contract out animal testing for any of their products.
e. Signed letter that the company applying does not include animal products or animal by-products in the items being submitted for Vegan Certification
f. A statement disclosing any GMO that may have been involved in the production of any products submitted for Vegan Certification
g. If sugar is an ingredient, documentation from the sugar manufacturer showing it is not being filtered with bone char must be provided.
h. If applying for beer, wine, or fruit juice, a statement showing that no animal by-products are used as a clarifying agent is required.
3. Ingredient lists are reviewed and confirmed to not be animal derived. If any ingredients are questionable, we will contact the company to request additional documentation to show it is not animal derived (it may be plant derived or synthetic). We also may need to contact the manufacturer directly to request more detailed information.
4. Once we have determined that all ingredients and processes are acceptable for Vegan Certification and we have received payment for the annual licensing fee, Vegan Action will send a Licensing Agreement to the company with a list of the products approved for use of the Certified Vegan Logo mark as well as the Guidelines for Use of the Certified Vegan Logo mark in Print.
5. Upon receiving the signed agreement, Vegan Action will send a signed copy of the annual agreement, the digital logos, and a certificate of approval. We all the company to our List of Companies with Certified Vegan products on www.vegan.org and share on our social media.
Guidelines for Use of the Certified Vegan Logo in Print
Companies with a signed Agreement and permission to use the Certified Vegan Logo ("Mark"):
General Guidelines and Restrictions for Use of the Certified Vegan Logo in Print:
• The Mark may not be displayed to represent a company or website, it may only represent the individual products that have been approved for use of the Mark. Companies using the Mark pursuant to these guidelines must also display in the primary and more prominent position, their own logo(s), business name, product names, or other branding.
• The Mark may not be imitated or used as a design feature in any manner.
• The Certification Mark may be printed and distributed globally.
• The Mark may not be used in a manner that would disparage Vegan Action or our programs.
• Neither the Mark nor the Vegan Action name may be used by any other company name, product name, service name, domain name, website title, publication title, or the like without written permission.
Use only the approved graphics provided by Vegan Action:
• The Mark must be used as provided by Vegan Action with no changes, including but not limited to proportion, or design, or removal of any words or artwork. The Mark may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise distorted in perspective or appearance.
• The symbol may not be separated from the logotype. The words “Certified Vegan” and “vegan.org” must be included in the Mark and may not be removed.
• The Mark is not accompanied by the registered trademark symbol (®) although it is a registered trademark.
Certified Vegan Logo Mark Placement:
• The Mark may be printed on packaging of approved products, advertisements, and websites as long as it is clear that the business is not being promoted by Vegan Action nor that all of the business’ products are Certified Vegan (unless indeed all products produced by said company are Certified Vegan). Only the approved products can be indicated as Certified Vegan.
• The Mark may be placed anywhere on the product packaging. There are no specific guidelines for Mark location on individual packaging.
• The Mark may be sized as needed on the product packaging. There are no specific guidelines for Mark size on individual packaging or websites.
Certified Vegan Logo Mark Color:
• The Mark may be colored as needed on the product packaging as long as the symbol and words/logotype are visible. There are no specific guidelines for Mark color on individual packaging
The Certified Vegan Logo trademark is the property of the Vegan Awareness Foundation/Vegan Action and may be revoked under the following circumstance:
- Failure to conform to the certification agreement.
- Non-payment of the licensing fee.
- Misuse of trademark on products not certified vegan. If The Certified Vegan Logo mark is ever used in error on a product not certified by Vegan Action, the company must notify Vegan Action as soon as possible, cover up the mark on the uncertified products, or destroy the incorrect labels. If any incorrectly labeled products have made it to the marketplace, the company must post a consumer notification on their website regarding their error. Misuse of the Certified Vegan Logo mark could result in a void contract and loss of Vegan Certification and the use of the Certified Vegan Logo mark.
The Vegan Awareness Foundation reserves the right to assess a penalty fee to any company that is found in violation of the merchant agreement by misuse of the trademark or by providing false or misleading information regarding ingredients and processing of product.
Vegan Action does not permit companies to use language that implies that we recommend a product- “Certified (Vegan) by Vegan Action” is acceptable wording.