by EARTH BALANCE® foods of Conagra Brands, Inc.
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance® Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, mashed
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance® Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together plant-based milk and vinegar, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Beat together the milk mixture, 1/3 cup Earth Balance, coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest in a large bowl..
- Sift in flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix until no big lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting by mixing blueberries, 1/2 cup vegan buttery sticks and dash of salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and continue to mix the ingredients until they all become combined. Frost cooled cupcakes evenly with frosting.
EARTH BALANCE® foods are a product of Conagra Brands, Inc., used with permission
About The Author: Vegan Action
More posts by Vegan Action