Certified Vegan Application
Office address for applications:
3218 Douglasdale Road Richmond, VA 23221
Download: Vegan Certification Application 2019
Who we accept applications from:
- Companies located in the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, Australia and U.S. territories.
- - Parent companies, however, our policy for Vegan Certification requires an application, agreement, and licensing fee for each brand under a parent company.
- - We do not permit the Certified Vegan Logo to be used on products sold to or distributed to China if it is a product that requires animal testing.
What is the turn around time for certification?
It is different for every application dependent on the number of products being submitted and the number of ingredients per product. We cannot give an exact answer but we aim for two to three weeks.We politely ask that you do not inquire by phone or email as we will notify applicants of the turn around time once we have received the application.
Protocol for Certifying Products as Vegan
UPDATE: As of January 1, 2019 we require a No Animal Testing document from the manufacturer of every ingredient being submitted. This means that for every ingredient, you will need to submit two documents - one proving the source of the ingredient (plant, mineral, fungal, or synthetic) and another on letterhead showing that the manufacturer has not tested THAT specific ingredient on animals (nor paid another organization to do so) since the year 2000. In addition, we are requiring more detailed information on ingredients that may be clarified, defoamed, filtered, or contain fillers or excipients. For this reason, we are requesting documentation showing all sweeteners, juices (including vinegars), beer, wine and alcohol have not been processed with any animal products. To make this easier for you, we provide a Product Information Form for each ingredient detailing exactly what is needed.
1. Vegan Action will review application to be sure that all information is filled out and signed.
2. Vegan Action will make sure all accompanying paperwork is included:
a. a list of each product and ingredients,
b. a spec sheet or ingredient description sheet from manufacturer for any ingredient that may be animal derived (ex. Sterol lactolate, glycerin, lecithin, xanthum gum, or a product cultured in a medium),
c. a statement whether shared machinery is used on the final product. If so, a statement of cleaning procedures must be provided to show prevention of cross-contamination of non-vegan ingredients (often called a Standards of Operating Procedures or Quality Control Procedures),
d. a signed letter that the company applying does not conduct animal testing nor do they contract out animal testing for any of their products,
e. a signed letter that the company applying does not include animal products or animal by-products in the items being submitted for Vegan Certification,
f. a signed statement or letter from each ingredient manufacturer that they do not test their products on animals
g. a statement disclosing any GMO that may have been involved in the production of any products submitted for Vegan Certification and proof that the GMO is not animal derived,
h. all sweeteners must include documentation from the sugar manufacturer showing it has not been filtered with bone char, or clarified or defoamed with animal by-products,
i. if the product has been fermented or cultured, documentation showing that no animal products have been used in the culture medium, strain derivative or feeding of cultures,
j. if any excipients, fillers, carriers, or processing aids are used in the production of the product but are not listed as an ingredient, documentation must be provided to show that they are present and are not animal derived, and
k. if product is or has as an ingredient that is beer, wine, vinegar, or fruit juice, a statement showing that no animal by-products are used as a clarifying or filtering agent is required.
3. Ingredient lists are reviewed and confirmed to not be animal derived. If any ingredients are questionable, we will request additional documentation to show it is not animal derived (it may be plant derived, mineral, fungal, or synthetic). We will often ask the applicant to contact the manufacturer directly to request more detailed information.
4. Once we have determined that all ingredients and processes are acceptable for Vegan Certification and we have received payment for the annual licensing fee, Vegan Action will send a Licensing Agreement to the company with a list of the products approved for use of the Certified Vegan Logo mark as well as the Guidelines for Use of the Certified Vegan Logo mark in Print.
5. Upon receiving the signed agreement, Vegan Action will send a signed copy of the annual agreement, the digital logos, and a certificate of approval. We will add the company to our List of Companies with Certified Vegan products on www.vegan.org and share on our social media.
Guidelines for Use of the Certified Vegan Logo in Print
Companies with a signed Agreement and permission to use the Certified Vegan Logo ("Mark"):
General Guidelines and Restrictions for Use of the Certified Vegan Logo in Print:
• The Certification Mark may not be displayed to represent a company or website, it may only represent the individual products that have been approved for use of the Certification Mark. Companies using the Certification Mark pursuant to these guidelines must also display in the primary and more prominent position, their own logo(s), business name, product names, or other branding.
• The Certification Mark may not be imitated or used as a design feature in any manner.
• The Certification Mark may be printed and distributed globally.
• The Certification Mark may not be used in a manner that would disparage Vegan Action or our programs.
• Neither the Certification Mark nor the Vegan Action name may be used by any other company name, product name, service name, domain name, website title, publication title, or the like without written permission.
Use only the approved graphics provided by Vegan Action:
• The Certification Mark must be used as provided by Vegan Action with no changes, including but not limited to proportion, or design, or removal of any words or artwork. The Certification Mark may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise distorted in perspective or appearance.
• The symbol may not be separated from the logotype. The words “Certified Vegan” and “vegan.org” must be included in the Certification Mark and may not be removed.
• The Certification Mark is not accompanied by the registered trademark symbol (®) although it is a registered trademark.
Certified Vegan Logo Mark Placement:
• The Certification Mark may be printed on packaging of approved products, advertisements, and websites as long as it is clear that the business is not being promoted by Vegan Action nor that all of the business’ products are Certified Vegan (unless indeed all products produced by said company are Certified Vegan). Only the approved products can be indicated as Certified Vegan.
• The Certification Mark may be placed anywhere on the product packaging. There are no specific guidelines for Certification Mark location on individual packaging.
• The Certification Mark may be sized as needed on the product packaging. There are no specific guidelines for Certification Mark size on individual packaging or websites.
Certified Vegan Logo Mark Color:
• The Certification Mark may be colored as needed on the product packaging as long as the symbol and words/logotype are visible. There are no specific guidelines for Certification Mark color on individual packaging
The Certified Vegan Logo trademark is the property of the Vegan Awareness Foundation/Vegan Action and may be revoked under the following circumstance:
- Failure to conform to the certification Agreement.
- Non-payment of the licensing fee.
- Misuse of Certification Mark trademark on products not certified vegan. If at any time a Certified Product fails in more that an immaterial degree to conform to the standards and specifications that were the bases for the Certification, the Company is expected to immediately cease all use of the Certification Mark on it's undistributed Certified Product units and immediately destroy all nonconforming materials in their possession containing the Certification Mark if Vegan Action requests that they do so. Company shall immediately notify all distributors, advertisers and customers who may have noncompliant Certified Product units and advertising therefore bearing the Certification Mark. Additionally, Vegan Action will post a consumer notification on their website regarding the error. Misuse of the Certified Vegan Logo mark could result in a void contract and loss of Vegan Certification and the use of the Certification Mark.
The Vegan Awareness Foundation reserves the right to assess a penalty fee to any company that is found in violation of the merchant agreement by misuse of the trademark or by providing false or misleading information regarding ingredients and processing of product. Vegan Action's services and the rights of the Certification Mark are unique in character and value such that the loss thereof could not be reasonably compensable in damages in an action at law.
Vegan Action does not permit companies to use language that implies that we recommend a product- “Certified (Vegan) by Vegan Action” is acceptable wording.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in you have any questions regarding the above information.