Our Certification Process
Applications will only be accepted from companies in the United States, US territories, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Companies that carry the Certified Vegan Logo certification trademark , hereinafter referred to as the “Certification Mark” on their products guarantee that each product is vegan, containing no animal ingredients or animal by-products, using no animal ingredient or by-product in the manufacturing process, and not being tested on animals.
Please note that Vegan Action can only certify individual products. We DO NOT certify: whole companies, kitchens, restaurants, food trucks, people, farms, fruits or vegetables, organizations, websites or products that contain human-derived ingredients.
Steps in the Certification Process:
Company submits complete certification application for review by fax, email or mail with the complete list of products and their ingredients and processing to Vegan Awareness Foundation/Vegan Action. Information regarding any animal testing on the finished product or testing of individual ingredients by the manufacturer or on their behalf must be included in the application. Products containing sugar need to include verification from the sugar supplier that the sugar is not filtered through bone char.
We are happy to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) by request.
Upon receipt, the application will be reviewed and any queries or additional paperwork requests will be forwarded to the company.
Products will be reviewed, which may involve contact with the suppliers and manufacturers. This process may take several weeks depending on the number of products submitted for review and the number of ingredients or processes.
There is an option of an additional $150 rush fee for companies wishing to have their products rushed through in 7 days. This is not available to companies that submit more then 10 products for review at once. The rush fee does not guarantee that all applications can be rushed through as the process depends upon the company’s ability to supply needed information in a timely manner. (The rush fee will be refunded if we cannot fulfill your request).
After thorough review of the products, Vegan Action will reject the application or approve use of the Certification Mark for a 12 month period.
Licensing fee is assessed by the company’s annual revenue and is due at time of the certification.
Vegan Action will email an agreement for the company representative to review, sign and return.
Upon receiving the signed agreement and annual licensing fee payment, Vegan Action will return the signed agreement as well as a certificate approving use of the Certified Vegan Logo certification mark for the approved products (not for the company). Additional products can be submitted for review anytime during the 12 month period at no extra charge.
Vegan Action will issue Certification Mark artwork in a .gif, .tif, .jpeg or .png format. The Certification Mark may not be altered in any way. The Certification Mark may not be used to represent a company, it represents individual products. A violation of these regulations will result in an immediate request to fix the error. If the Certification Mark is not correctly presented within twenty-one (21) days, Vegan Action will terminate the use of the Certification Mark.
Company gives Vegan Action permission to list the company on our website, www.vegan.org. Additionally, certified products may be promoted through our printed materials, online posts, recipes, articles, tabling events, giveaways and social media feeds. If product samples are submitted, Vegan Action staff may consider them for inclusion in articles on our website and social media feeds.
After a 12-month period, the company and approved products will be reviewed and required to sign an updated agreement and submit the annual licensing fee to continue using the Certification Mark for another 12-month period.
Companies are required to immediately notify Vegan Awareness Foundation/Vegan Action in writing when ingredients in any products bearing the Certification Mark change and submit new ingredient lists for verification and approval.
Companies must immediately notify Vegan Action in writing if their company is going out of business, has changed addresses or website address, or is being purchased by another company (use of the Certification Mark on products DOES NOT automatically carry over if the business is purchased or transferred).
Guidelines for Use of the Certification Mark in Print
Companies with a signed Agreement and permission to use the Certification Mark:
General Guidelines and Restrictions:
• The Certification Mark may not be displayed to represent a company or website, it may only represent the individual products that have been approved for use of the Certification Mark . Companies using the Certification Mark pursuant to these guidelines must also display in the primary and more prominent position, their own logo(s), business name, product names, or other branding.
• The Certification Mark may not be imitated or used as a design feature in any manner.
• The Certification Mark may not be used in a manner that would disparage Vegan Action or our programs.
• Neither the Certification Mark nor the Vegan Action name may be used by any other company name, product name, service name, domain name, website title, publication title, or the like without written permission.
Use only the approved graphics provided by Vegan Action:
• The Certification Mark must be used as provided by Vegan Action with no changes, including but not limited to proportion, or design, or removal of any words or artwork. The Certification Mark may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise distorted in perspective or appearance.
• The symbol may not be separated from the logotype. The words “Certified Vegan” and “vegan.org” must be included in the Certification Mark and may not be removed.
• The Certification Mark is not accompanied by the registered trademark symbol (®) although it is a registered certification trademark.
Certification Mark Placement:
• The Certification Mark may be printed on packaging of Approved Products, advertisements and websites as long as it is clear that the business is not being promoted by Vegan Action nor that all of the business’ products are Certified Vegan (unless indeed all products produced by said company are Certified Vegan). Only the Approved Products can be indicated as Certified Vegan.
• The Certification Mark may be placed anywhere on the product packaging. There are no specific guidelines for Certification Mark location on individual packaging.
Certification Mark Size:
• The Certification Mark may be sized as needed on the product packaging. There are no specific guidelines for Certification Mark size on individual packaging or websites.
Certification Mark Color:
• The Certification Mark may be colored as needed on the product packaging as long as the symbol and words/logotype are visible. There are no specific guidelines for Certification Mark color on individual packaging.
A violation of these regulations will result in an immediate request to fix the error. If the Certification Mark is not correctly presented within twenty-one (21) days, Vegan Action will terminate the use of the Certification Mark.
The Certification Mark is the property of the Vegan Awareness Foundation/Vegan Action and may be revoked under the following circumstance:
Failure to conform in any way to the certification agreement.
Non-payment of the licensing fee.
Misuse of Certification Mark on products not certified vegan. If at any time a Certified Product fails in more than an immaterial degree to conform to the standards and specifications that were the bases for the Certification, Licensee will immediately cease all use of the Certification Mark on its undistributed Certified Product units and immediately destroy all nonconforming materials in their possession containing the Certification Mark if Vegan Action requests that they do so. Licensee shall also immediately notify all distributors, advertisers, and customers who may have noncompliant Certified Product units and advertising therefor bearing the Certification Mark. Licensee shall require all sublicensees to immediately destroy all nonconforming materials in their possession containing the Certification Mark if Vegan Action requests that they do so.
The Vegan Awareness Foundation reserves the right to assess a penalty fee to any company that is found in violation of the merchant agreement by misuse of the Certification Mark or by providing false or misleading information regarding ingredients and processing of product. Vegan Action’s services and the rights of the Certification Mark are unique in character and value such that the loss thereof could not be reasonably compensable in damages in an action at law.
Vegan Action does not permit companies to use language that implies that we recommend a product- “Certified (Vegan) by Vegan Action” is acceptable wording.
Please contact us if you have questions regarding any of the above statement.