- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance (vegan margarine), cut into medium sized pieces
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
With your fingers or a pastry cutter cut in the Earth Balance pieces until they are the size of peas.
Take 1 tablespoon of milk out of the 3/4 cup and set it aside. Pour the rest of the milk over the flour and stir gently with a spatula until it comes together.
4. Pour the dough onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it’s not super sticky. Pat it out gently to 1″ thick. Fold the dough over itself and pat it out to 1″ thick again. Repeat twice to fold 3 times. This needs to be done very gently! Pat it like you’re playing patty cake with a baby. No smooshing. After the third fold pat the dough to 3/4″ thick, and cut out your biscuits. Don’t forget to pat together your scraps to get 1 or 2 more! Repeat until you’re out of dough. With a normal sized cutter (2-2 1/2 inches) I get 8.
5. Brush the biscuits with the remaining tablespoon of milk. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the tops are golden.
– For the best results make sure your ingredients are very cold. Consider combining the dry ingredients and placing them in the freezer for 30 minutes before adding the Earth Balance. I store my baking ingredients in the freezer so they’re always ready.