Recipe + Photos by Samantha Scott
With just a handful ingredients, you can create these delicious Pink Grapefruit Shortbread Cookies. These melt-in-your-mouth cookies are perfect to make with the kids, as a Valentine’s Day treat for your loved one or just because.
Recipe yields about one dozen 2-inch cookies.
- ½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup vegan granulated sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit zest
ICING GLAZE INGREDIENTS
- 2 ½ cups organic vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons of plant-based milk *Almond milk works great here.
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a small bowl and with a hand grater, zest one whole grapefruit. In another small bowl, cut the grapefruit in half and juice it. *Note: Watch for the seeds to discard from your juice. You will have about 5 tablespoons of zest and around ¾ cup of juice.
- In a mixing bowl, add the room temperature vegan butter, granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons of grapefruit zest. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together until the mixture becomes white in color and has a fluffy texture. This will take about 6 minutes.
- Next, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat until just combined into the mixture.
- Add half of the flour into the mixture and beat until combined. Repeat with the other half of the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula or spoon and mix through one last time.
- Once combined, form the dough into a ball.
- In an airtight container (saran wrap or a zip top bag will work here as well), place the dough into the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to about a ½ inch thickness (do not go thinner than ¼ inch). Using a 2-inch cookie cutter in the shape of your choice, cut out as many cookies as possible from the dough.
- Place the cut out cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. They do not need to get golden brown. Do not overbake the cookies.
ICING GLAZE DIRECTIONS
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the grapefruit juice, plant-based milk and about 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Beat until combined. Add 1 tablespoon of grapefruit zest and remaining powdered sugar. Continue beating until well combined. If needed, add powdered sugar or juice by the teaspoonful to reach a thinner or thicker consistency.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies into the icing and set on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Let the icing dry and harden. This will take about 15 minutes for the outer part of the icing tops to harden. Wait a couple of hours before stacking them to allow the icing to fully set.
- For a deeper grapefruit flavored icing, replace the 2 tablespoons of plant-based milk with 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice, making it a total of 5 tablespoons of grapefruit juice for the icing ingredients.
- For a pretty garnish, just after icing the cookies, sprinkle the tops with some grapefruit zest or some vegan granulated sugar.
Suggested Vegan Action Certified Products to try with this recipe: