By Paige Baxter and Yhanni Guadalupe-Butcher
Many people are motivated to give back to their local communities during the holidays. The Vegan Action team fully supports this, but we also think it’s important to give your time and money throughout the year, too. We’ve come up with a list of ways you can do your part.
- Volunteer – There are loads of opportunities out there. Give your time to animal shelters, soup kitchens, local non-profits, and more. Check Volunteer Match for organizations in need of help in your area.
- Donate clothes and shoes to homeless shelters
- Give needed items to animal shelters. Check your local shelter’s website.
- Adopt animals at sanctuaries to help support them living a happy life
- Give back to the earth, help pick up litter in your area. You would be surprised the impact you can make by cleaning up. Also the earth will thank you back.
- Pay it Forward. If you have the means, pay for someone’s meal/coffee.
- Give back to students. If you feel as though you can help a student in a specific subject, offer to volunteer in schools or other youth organizations as a tutor.
- If you have the space, create shelters for feral cats in the winter seasons.
- Give your unique talents and services. There are a multitude of options. You could volunteer to play in a band for an event such as a children’s recital or at a retirement center. You can offer your tech skills to a nonprofit or organization in need. Maybe you can help someone with a simple home improvement such as painting a room. Check out to see what is going on in your unique circle and see where you can help someone.
- Become a mentor with local youth at a Boy and Girls club.