Recipe + Photo by Samantha Scott
This recipe is a vegan twist on a classic cornbread. It bakes up moist with crispy edges and perfectly compliments dishes like soup or chili.
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vegan sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup plant-based milk – Soy, almond, oat or cashew are all good options here.
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup organic light olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Use an 8×8-inch pan for thicker cornbread or 9×13 for thinner. As an alternative to the parchment paper, use 1 tablespoon of organic light olive oil to grease the pan bottom and sides. Note that using the oil to grease the pan may make the crust of your cornbread more crispy.
- Add all dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt) to a mixing bowl and whisk until completely combined.
- Add the wet ingredients (plant-based milk, water and oil) one at a time and whisk through until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the parchment-lined casserole dish.
- Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden and beginning to form cracks.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Slice and serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.