Recipe + Photos by Samantha Scott
This vegan take on the classic French Onion soup is hearty and full of flavor. Enjoy a bowl for a satisfying lunch or along with your favorite bread and vegan cheese for a rich dinner.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin organic olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced into thin half-moons. – White, yellow or sweet onions all work great for this recipe.
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs – leaves stripped OR ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (plus more to taste if needed)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Your favorite bread for dipping
- Vegan cheese melted on top of your soup
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the onions.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. The onions may be filling the pot but they will cook down to about ⅓ of their starting size.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until the onions caramelize and turn light golden brown. This will take about 50-60 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cook until it’s absorbed. This will take about 15 more minutes. The onions will be a richer, deeper brown.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, bay leaf, remaining salt and pepper, then bring to a rolling boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer the soup for at least 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve as is or along with the optional ingredients above and enjoy!!
Suggested Vegan Action Certified Products to try with this recipe:
- Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base Premium
About The Author: Vegan Action
More posts by Vegan Action