Recipe + Photos by April Viar
These vegan taquitos are so simple to make, you will find yourself making them often. They are versatile, you can add beans, veggies, cheese or potatoes. Today I used JADA CHICK’N Mix because I knew it would be the perfect filling for what I was craving. Bonus is cooking them in the air fryer – it delivers such a fast crispy snack.
- 1 Jada Brand’s Original Chick’n Mix
- ½ cup vegan Shredded Cheese (I used Chao Creamy Original Shreds, if you’re feeling like you want more cheese, go for it!)
- 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 1 pack of 6-inch yellow corn tortillas
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried cilantro
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper powder
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
OPTIONAL TOPPING INGREDIENTS
- Hot Sauce
- Lime crema
- Pico de gallo
- Add the entire pouch of chick’n mix all of the extra dry seasonings to a bowl.
- Add 1 Cup of water and 1 Tbsp of oil and mix well. Cover and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is ready, pan fry in a hot oil until the chick’n crumbles are golden brown.
- Add your vegan shredded cheese to the top of the crumbles. Add a splash of water and cover.
- Once cheese is melted, add diced green chiles and combine all the ingredients together.
- Now onto assembling the taquitos! Put 6 thin corn tortilla on a microwave safe plate, cover with a damp paper towel for 25-30 seconds. You can also heat them in a pan on the stove. You want to make sure your tortillas are pliable enough to roll without breaking.
- Once your tortillas are ready add about 3 Tbsp of the mixture to the middle of each corn tortilla before rolling it up and placing it seam side down onto a plate. Repeat until all of your mix is used up. Tip: heat your tortillas back up if you find them starting to break apart.
- Carefully add taquitos to the air fryer. Lay them out, do not stack. Depending on your air fryer size, you can cook about 5-6 at a time. You will want to lightly spray the taquitos with oil.
- Air fry at 400F for 6 to 7 minutes. Check towards the end to make sure they are crispy to your liking.
- Plate your taquitos and add all of your favorite toppings.
About The Author: Vegan Action
More posts by Vegan Action