For the General Tso’s tofu:
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 10 ounces firm tofu (275 g), cubed
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- Extra virgin olive to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp vegetable stock or water
- 3 tbsp cane, coconut or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- Mix tamari and vinegar in a bowl until well combined.
- Add the tofu cubes and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the tofu and transfer 1/3 of the tofu cubes to a freezer bag with 2 tbsp of cornstarch and toss to coat. Repeat this step with the rest of the tofu and cornstarch. Add more cornstarch if needed.
- Cook the tofu cubes in a skillet with a little bit of oil over medium-high heat until all sides are golden brown. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook them over medium-high heat for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently until they start to golden brown.
- To make the sauce just mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and cook until it thickens, stirring frequently.
- Finally, add the tofu, stir and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and serve with some white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped chives (optional).
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe by Simple Vegan Blog.