- 3 20-oz. cans of jackfruit in brine
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic or garlic powder equivalent
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- .25 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1.5 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- .5 cup BBQ sauce (I recommend smoky, tangy…)
- 4 buns or rolls
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut the core from the edges (it’s okay to leave a little). Using your fingers, press the jackfruit upward to remove the seeds. Don’t worry about getting out every last seed, but try to remove most.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion in olive oil, add the garlic, and saute a bit longer, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the jackfruit, liquid smoke, and seasonings. Mix everything well.
- Add vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for 10–15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. (If you don’t have a cover, simply simmer longer.)
- Spread the mixture out on a non-stick baking sheet. Use a spoon or spatula to break up the mixture to a pulled pork consistency. Pop in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with a liberal amount of BBQ sauce. Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 10–15 minutes or until the mixture browns on top.
Recipe by Rootiful.
About The Author: Vegan Action
More posts by Vegan Action