By Katelyn Chisholm
Veggie and Noodle Layers:
- Wilted Spinach: 16 oz fresh spinach sautéed with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roasted Sweet Potato: 2-3 medium sweet potatoes cut into thin disks baked with olive oil, salt and pepper at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Lasagna Noodles: Cook ahead of time unless using the no boil noodles.
- Red Sauce: Any basic tomato sauce is great! Feel free to spice it up or add in more flavor/texture (onion, garlic, mushrooms, lentils, etc.) if preferred!
- White Sauce (Vegan Bechamel): Start by making a rue with vegan butter or oil and flour then slowly add your non-dairy milk (plain almond milk is my preference) until you get the desired quantity and texture. Add salt and pepper at the end! Option to add nutritional yeast.
- Cashew Cheese Sauce: Soak 2 cups of cashews in boiling water for about 10 minutes, then drain and rinse. Blend with water, ½ tsp onion powder, 1.5 tbsp miso, and 4 tbsp nutritional yeast until smooth but thick.
- With all these ingredients layer how you want!
- Example: Red, Noodles, Cheese, Sweet Potatoes, Red, Noodles, White, Spinach, White, Noodles, Red, Sweet Potatoes, Cheese, Noodles, Red, top with Cheese!
- Any layering will work!
- With cooked noodles: Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes or until cheese sauce starts to brown.
- With no boil noodles: refer to noodle package and cover with foil while baking to keep the steam in and avoid burning the cheese sauce.
- Once baked allow to cool for 10-15 minutes to set the sauces then enjoy or freeze individual portions!
Tips and Tricks:
- Use more sauce with no boil noodles so they have enough liquid to absorb.
- Taste each component along the way to check the seasoning level.
- Other Sauce Options (in place of tomato):
- Vegan Pesto: Basil, Olive Oil, Toasted Pine Nuts, Nutritional Yeast, Salt, Pepper, Lemon Juice. Blended until smooth and combined!
- Pumpkin: 2 Cans of pumpkin thinned with water then spiced up with any preferred seasoning (salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, basil, oregano, garlic, etc.)!