Recipe + Photos by Samantha Scott
This recipe makes for an easy and satisfying breakfast or snack. It’s versatile and buildable to your favorite layers of fresh fruit, granola, nuts, and seeds. With this recipe, you will create a simple and chilled porridge sure to get your day started with a tasty treat. It only takes a few minutes to create, making it the perfect goto recipe for a busy day or meal prep. Follow the steps below but feel free to change the ingredients or toppings to your liking!
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed (*optional here to use ¼ cup of vegan yogurt instead of the banana)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup plant based milk (oat, almond, soy, etc.)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) pure vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of pure maple syrup or organic cane sugar
SUGGESTED TOPPINGS OR MIX IN’S:
- Fresh fruit like peaches, strawberries, bananas, apples, etc.
- Coconut flakes
- Pure maple syrup or organic cane sugar (brown or white)
- Nuts or seeds
- Vegan yogurt *Use your favorite vegan yogurt. Plain or vanilla flavor work great here*
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth. If using plant based yogurt, add it now.
- Next, stir in any desired nuts or seeds (such as chia seeds) and cinnamon until combined.
- Stir in the oats, plant based milk, and vanilla (if using).
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at the least, a minimum of 2 hours.
- After the wait time or in the morning, if overnight, stir the oat mixture to combine. If the oat mixture is too thick, simply add a splash of milk and stir to combine.
- Layer the oat mixture with your preferred toppings in a glass, bowl or jar. Enjoy!
Suggested Vegan Action Certified Products to try with this recipe:
- Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar
- Back to Nature Grain Free Granola
- Foods Alive Organic Chia Seeds
- One Degree Organic Foods Sprouted Oats