Vegan Caramel ApplesApril 3, 2016 in Blog Posts, Recipes
- McIntosh or Granny Smith apples
- 1/3 cup Coconut Milk (canned)
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs Vegan Margarine (We used Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread)
- Chopped Salted Peanuts or Chocolate (optional)
- Wash and dry each apple. Remove the stem. Insert a wooden stick into the top end of each apple. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Combine coconut milk, brown rice and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until boiling (about 10 minutes.). Whisk continuously to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan margarine and vanilla extract.
- Let sauce cool. Put apples on wax paper. Drizzle sauce over apples.
- Sprinkle and press in chopped salted peanuts or chocolate.
- Place in the refrigerator to harden.